Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Sinking City

El Palacio de Bellas Artes


Legend tells that the Aztecs were told by the gods to build their main city right where they saw an eagle eating a serpent on a cactus. It just so happened that where they saw this was in a middle of a lake, thus the Aztecs built Tenochtitlan (Mexico City) on an small island on a lake. In these days Mexico City is booming with people and their supply for water is very limited and they have been resorting to pumping out the water from underground aquifers causing the city to sink in to its muddy base. This is due to the drawdown which is happening since the water is getting used faster than it is being replenished. Since the city itself is close to a lake which stands at a higher elevation than them, they are also susceptible to many flash floods when it rains too much and the lake fills up. The Palacio de Bellas Artes is sinking down at an average of 4in a year! Mexico is quickly trying to find a way to hydrate its citizens, hopefully they can find a way to and at the same time maintain their amazing historical buildings


http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/04/08/20100408mexico-city-sinking-flooding-crisis.html


http://www.greatdreams.com/cities.htm


http://geo-mexico.com/?p=2968


4 comments:

  1. Hello Noemi,
    The reason I chose to comment on your blog is because I love Mexico. My mom is from Chihuahua which is I think about a twelve hour drive to Mexico City. It's a bit far but I have been to Mexico City a couple of times since I was little. I really like your blog entries, especialy this one. I have always found Aztec history very interesting. The explanation of how the city is slowly sinking is quite clear and I find it easy to understand. In my opinion, I wish you would have added some pictures of Tenochtitlan city built on the island. I think this would have helped for those who have not heard about Tenochtitlan. Mexico is an amazing place and I agree with you that it is more than what the news displays it as. Great blog though!
    -Megan Lord

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noemi,
    I really enjoyed your blog, though I have been to Mexico many times I have yet to visit Mexico City. I was unaware that they were going through such geological hardships in recovering water sources. You were able to give a clear picture of what is happening to the land and why it is consistently worsening. Though they need the water to sustain functionality of the city they are not allowing the land to be replenished. One thing your blog could use to improve it's effectiveness is some sort of visual of where the city is located as well as how the sinking land is affecting the landscapes and well as the architechture. Great blog!
    -Abby Paladino

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noemi,
    I really enjoyed your blog. My parents are from Chihuahua Mexico and I often go visit. I have not been fortunate enough to visit Mexico City although it is on my list for the future. The pictures were fascinating and most definitely very helpful to understand all that is going on in the City. One thing that could improve your blog would be to possibly have a smaller section for the reader that are available through the links. They can get a little overwhelming since they are too long. Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Noemi, I found your blog very interesting and informative. I've only been to the border cities as well and not deep into Mexico. I love to see the ancient ruins of the Aztecs as well as the Mayans. Do you know what precautions the Mexican people are taking to help stop the sinking of El Palacio de Bellas Artes. I realize that Mexico city is built on a lake and they need water from the aquifier that is below them, but it seems if their population keeps on increasing so will their water usage, and the sinking of the city is inevitable.

    ReplyDelete